Friday, March 30, 2012

Possible positive Lyme culture test results

So my doc had me to the new Advanced Lab Services Lyme culture test (see this post). He said I wasn't getting better fast enough on his treatment for CFS and wanted to get me checked out to make sure I didn't have something else as well.  I've been having a hell of a time getting the results. The front office staff apparently hasn't been well educated on the procedures for this test, I keep getting the run around and then the lab didn't send the tests in time for my doctor's appointment (which was supposed to be today) so I had to reschedule after making a bunch of phone calls. Such unnecessary stress! Pretty sure I'm not the one who's supposed to be calling back and forth between the lab and the doctor's office trying to coordinate getting lab results sent! Anyway, they're sending the results on Monday, which will include pretty pictures of the actual bacteria they cultured and "other relevant information".

Anyway, front desk lady said I came up positive on the test. POSITIVE for Lyme! I am not going to get too worked up over it since she sounded a bit confused on the facts, and could have misunderstood the lab tech she ended up talking to because I kept getting different stories from everyone. Plus I don't have any idea how I could have gotten it, makes absolutely no sense. But, if that's true...this may change things. I told my brother about it and he said "we should celebrate". But heck no, no celebrations until I actually start to feel better! I will not have false hope!

My appointment has been rescheduled for next Wednesday and I might go crazy until then sitting on this information. Hopefully the lab will actually send the report on Monday and I won't have to keep rescheduling! I'll update when I find out more.

3 comments:

upnorth said...

Well this is exciting (in a way). Chronic Lyme can be treated although similar from M.E., I think it's a long journey (rather than a short fix)...I hope you hear soon. I hate the waiting.

Judy said...

It's been really difficult for me to find medical help for the cfs. I thought I'd finally found a doctor who "gets" it, but he was convinced I had Lyme, and when I didn't, he lost interest in helping me (whereas before he was all gung-ho). So, if you do have Lyme, at least you are going to get proper attention and care now!

And yeah, when it comes to medical office staff or even some nurses--you gotta get used to them saying stupid stuff like, "What's that?" when you tell them you have cfs!

DolceVita said...

@upnorth - Thanks! You know, I've been doing a lot of reading online, and it seems there is a lot of controversy over how easily treatable Lyme is. But I guess what else is new; not like the medical community has any idea what is going on with CFS heh.

@Judy - Yeah, it took me a while to find my doctor and he's pretty amazing. I don't think I'd be making any kind of stable progress without him. It's actually a chronic fatigue clinic, so they all have their act together and know what CFS is. It's just hard dealing with staff when there's a new procedure/test that no one is trained on it. What tests did you take to check if you had Lyme? Just curious.